Monday, January 19, 2009

What Is Swimming All About?


One of the great icons of American swimming coaches, Richard Quick (DADS Club, Auburn, Texas, Stanford, US Olympic team coach), has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.

One of the tributes paid to him at his Stanford retirement party was about what swimming really gives you. I'm sharing it because I think it's important for you to read it and think about it, if you don't already know what it's trying to say:


"Richard always used to say "Get caught up in the team" and no one I've ever been coached by, showed me more by example how to value every single person's contributions (in whatever form) to a team better than Richard.

For me, more important than all the victories, all the national championships, and all the personal achievements during my four years on the swim team, are the friendships and love I developed as a part of that "family".


The farther away I get from my college sports experience, the more I cherish the rarity of that "family" environment and the profundity of that gift from Richard.


To be surrounded by and loved by Great people is the highest achievement of my life, and to achieve common goals (like winning) with people you truly respect and love is even more incredible.

This "family" is a gift that keeps on giving, and one for which I will always be in debt to Richard for his part in creating, and of which he will always be a part."

No comments: