Saturday, September 25, 2010

What It Takes To Become A Champion In Swimming And In Life

.
(Wow, has it been THAT long since this blog had a new post??)

Thanks for the heads-up to Texas Swimming; excerpts here from The Ranger Online, a publication of San Antonio College.

Josh Davis, a San Antonio College alumnus, participated in the Olympics twice - first in Atlanta in 1996 where he became the first man in any sport, from any nation, to win three gold medals [in that Olympics].

Four years later in 2000, Davis was elected captain of the USA men's swim team. Davis competed in Sydney, Australia, and won two silver medals.

Of course, Davis worked hard on his way toward his goals, and it all began on this campus. He later transferred to the University of Texas at Austin.

"I went to SAC, and basically, that period of time, I learned a lot of things from my teachers and coaches that totally took me to another level in my life," Davis said Sept. 14 in a phone interview.

Davis quickly realized that achieving success wasn't going to be easy.

"I think the greatest thing that allowed me to remain driven is the ‘attitude of gratitude.' Thankfulness for things in life reflect in the intensity of what you do," Davis said.

Sacrifice became part of Davis' success story quickly.

Although he was not the "party type," Davis did have to make the "right decisions" to pave a clear path toward success.

"I came to a point in my life where I cared more about truth than what people thought of me. When you find that, you don't get distracted," Davis said. "It becomes about mental discipline."

While Davis believes that physical competition is exhilarating, he also believes that mental attitude is an important part of success, be it in the water or in a business office.


More about Josh Davis HERE

No comments: